St Mary’s Church

St Mary's Church, Kings Walden

ST Mary’s Church, in it’s original form dates from the early 12th century. In its earliest form the church would have consisted only of nave and chancel. The nave arcades were inserted and the aisles added about 1190. The West tower was added in 1380, whilst the clearstory was made in the 15th century. The north vestry was built early in the 17th century. In 1868 the church was restored by Eden Nesfield, who built the South porch, rebuilt the North aisle and chancel arch, and restored external stonework.

The church is constructed of flint rubble with knapped flint facing and stone dressings. The chancel roof is steep pitched tile, whilst the other roofs are of lead, hidden behind crenellated parapets. The tower has similar parapets to the nave.

The interior of the church has several interesting features.

There is a rare 13th century double piscina near the altar. The 15th century rood screen was removed during the reformation and was restored in the 19th century restoration.

The stained glass is largely by Kempe and dates to the turn of the 20th century. There are two exceptions to this. The first is a memorial window dating to 1972 by Hugh Powell. The second is a memorial window by William Morris. The Morris window depicts Raphael, Michael and Gabriel and is dedicated to Augusta Hale.